Sunday, February 21, 2010

Socks and Dust Bunnies vs. Alpha Cat

If you read my previous post "Fairy Dust" then you know that snow sprinkled and sparkled onto my car. And that God has given me His divine blessing. Now my socks have confirmed it!

You know all those missing socks that we accuse the poor, innocent dryer of eating? Sure you do! (Especially you, my dear cousin who reads my blog -- you seem particularly obsessed with it!)

I was REALLY starting to wonder if the secret sock society hated me because I have a whole basket full of single socks. A big basket, I might add. Most sane people would have thrown them all out and bought more by now but it was the principle of the thing for me (and perhaps I'm not a sane person anyway!). I knew that all those socks were in this house SOMEWHERE! And I was going to find them (ok, wait for them to turn up eventually -- but it's idealogically the same process)!

TODAY I FOUND THE MISSING SOCKS! TWICE, actually!

I spent most of the day cleaning (read: unearthing) Sara-Grace's room. Under her chair I found a dozen socks! I recognized them as the runaways because I have futilely tried to match up their lonely mates many times and had thus developed an uneasy familiarity with them. I think the missing faction had formed an alliance with the dust bunnies there under the chair and I suspect they were plotting to overthrow the Alpha cat in the house and launch a hostile takeover of the game cabinet -- just for something to do.

And then, as if finding one batch of missing socks weren't joy enough, I came across ANOTHER batch! Twenty or so socks were camped out in the bottom of a basket of laundry that an eight-year-old (who shall remain nameless) had never put away. Why she had my socks in her basket I can't say, but who cares? Now I can wear a DIFFERENT pair of socks EVERY day! Oh JOY!

So, as you can see. Great, miraculous things are beginning to happen to me. I have God and the socks on my side (and maybe the dust bunnies too -- no, I swept them all up. Too bad!)

To find your own missing socks, go to the most cluttered, neglected, procrastinated spot in your house. If you listen carefully, you can probably hear them laughing at you and giggling like a bunch of six-year-olds playing hide-and-seek! Good luck!

And now I must go conquer the world!

2 comments:

  1. I can VERY much relate to this post! I too knew the missing socks were somewhere and that is why I've kept them! Good post Anne! You've inspired me to keep searching... Thanks, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne I love your blog! I can totally see you doing all these things in my head. But I solved the sock problem when I bought my first washer and dryer- if the socks don't match who but I will know? So now instead of stressing about sock pairs I just make sure I'm wear two socks and don't mind if they match or don't or are even in the same color family...but happy hunting and conquering the world!

    ReplyDelete

If you have something mean to say, please say it nicely!